Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Why "Creating Summum Bonum"?

I started this blog out of jealousy for my student's - they were having all the fun! :)  Week after week my students write what is called a Summa - a short essay in response to a universal question that we have studied in history, theology, or literature.  The class is titled Omnibus:  Biblical & Classical Civilizations.  Omnibus is Latin for "everything" and focuses on the greatest questions of all time from all the metaphysical fields of study:  Theology & Philosophy, History and Literature.

The goal of the course as is any real humanities course is to investigate the Summum Bonum or "greatest good."  My aim in Creating Summum Bonum is to ask the question we must continually ask -  "What is the Greatest Good and how can I Create it?"  God is in the Redemption business and as believers we join him in that mission to Recreate and Restore.  This blog will look at different topics from theology to entertainment and education to family and everything in between.  Since there is nothing off God's radar, I must assume there is nothing off mine.  Many of my posts will come from questions asked by my students, questions posed from the Omnibus course, and cultural commentary as I seek the Greatest Good and create in His name wherever the Spirit allows.




No comments:

Post a Comment