Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lent: Giving up or Filling Up?

     Christians worldwide are celebrating Lent.  In the historic church calendar this consumes the 40 days before Resurrection (Easter) Sunday.  Growing up, I viewed Lent as a big hypocrisy - one extreme to another:  Overindulgence to under indulgence.  Hedonism to asceticism in a night's day.  My thinking has changed.  What was the original intent and could this practice be redeemed, restored, or recreated to bring Glory to God?  As I strive to create Summum bonum I am trying to look at all aspects of my life.  Should Jesus not be Lord over my calendar too?

This year in our school's chapel program we are celebrating the historic church calendar.  It is not as Roman Catholic as many have thought it to be.  Our theme this year at school is "Life."  We took the passage from John 10:10 when Jesus tells us that he came to give life - life to the full, or "life in abundance" as some translations say.  The focus is that Jesus came to give us the good life NOW, not just in heaven.  We believe that the good life comes only through the Gospel - joining our story with God's Grand Story.  The historic church calendar takes us through the gospel  message from Advent (anticipation of the coming Messiah), Christmas (birth), Epiphany (Life and teachings of Christ), Lent (preparation of the believer's heart for the death of Christ), and Resurrection (Easter).

40 days has Biblical significance:  Noah and his family endured the ark for 40 days, the Israelites endured the desert for 40 days, and of course our Lord fasted for 40 days before he was tempted by Satan.  The 40 days represent a period of struggle that is intended by God for His followers to rely on Him.  The end result was (and is) a "closer walk with Thee" - 40 days of trial that results in increased faith, Glory to God, and joy for the believer.

 I saw a t-shirt the other day  that said, "I survived Lent."  This t-shirt slogan represents what has happened to most of the spiritual disciplines - they have been eaten up by our cultures God - indulgence and materialism.  It is interesting that though America is one of the most materially wealthy, entertained, and comfortable cultures in the world, we have some of the highest depression rates.  The reason is that we are eating the wrong bread.  We are eating spoiled bread.

Jesus calls himself the Bread of Life and says that if we eat of his bread we will never go hungry.  I'm beginning to think he meant more than taking the Lord's Supper.  I love this hymn:


Like the woman at the well I was seeking
    D7                         G
For things that could not satisfy;
    G7                     C
And then I heard my Savior speaking:
              D                         G
"Draw from My well that never shall run dry."

CHORUS:
G                                D
Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord!
         Am          D               G
Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;
         G7                     C
Bread of heaven, feed me 'til I want no more-
        D                           G
Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

VERSE 2:
There are millions in this world who are craving
The pleasure earthly things afford;
But none can match the wondrous treasure
That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.

VERSE 3:
So, my brother, if the things this world gave you
Leave hungers that won't pass away,
My blessed Lord will come and save you,
If you kneel to Him and humbly pray:

Lent fills up!

No comments:

Post a Comment